- Estate Planning
- Taxation Law
- Business Planning
- Minnesota, 1982
- Wisconsin, 1989
- U.S. Tax Court, 1988
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1989
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- St. Croix Valley Bar Association
Roy A. Sjoberg
Senior Partner, Founder, President
Roy A. Sjoberg opened the doors of Sjoberg Legal Services, Ltd. on October 15, 1982. Prior to practicing law, he worked as a health and life insurance agent, and it was in doing this that he learned the great value of persistence and perseverance. Bolstered by these qualities, he worked earnestly to build his law firm. Over time, he built a team of exceptional staff and fellow attorneys. Today, Sjoberg & Tebelius is a thriving practice, respected by both clients and the community.
Roy is very proud of the vast experience represented among the attorneys of Sjoberg & Tebelius. His particular area of expertise is estate and business planning. He believes this is a very personal field, and as such works to create a close relationship with each of his clients. He is humbled each time a prospective client places their trust in him, permitting him to develop a deep understanding of their values and aspirations.
Recognized by his peers for his exceptional interpersonal skills, Roy has a unique ability to address complicated issues with practical, yet sophisticated, planning solutions. His clients often come to him with blended family circumstances and are unable to work through an estate planning solution on their own. His approach permits clients to talk openly about their thoughts, concerns, and fears without causing emotional crises in their relationships.
For his clients who are business owners and seeking his guidance for the successful continuation of their businesses, he develops customized solutions to pave the way for a smooth transition into their company's future.
Outside of work, Roy is most passionate about making a difference in social and civic concerns, particularly when he observes those in power and influence taking advantage of those who are under-represented. For example, as an elected public official for St. Croix County, he aims to keep groundwater safe for small farm residents against the abuses of absentee-owner mega-farms.
Rotary International introduced Roy to the community leaders of Hudson, Wisconsin, his home for the last 25 years. Through the organization, he has led mission trips to Nicaragua, hosted foreign exchange students, served as Club President 2001-02, and served as District Governor 2008-09.
Roy and his wife enjoy traveling together, and spend much of their summers camping and biking. Roy has a background in music education, and in addition to singing in choirs, he enjoys attending concerts, particularly the Minnesota Opera. He also spends his time writing, reading, and playing cribbage with his wife.
In looking forward in his life and career, Roy knows one thing is certain: "I will never give up my positive attitude that I can and I must do my best to make a difference in the world. That passion is at the very core of my beliefs."
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1982
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- B.S., Bachelor of Science - 00/1975
- Honors: With Highest Distinction
- Major: Music Education
- Estate Planning - Keeping the Cabin in the Family, MN CLE, 2009
- Estate Planning - Community Property, MN CLE, 2009
- Estate Planning - Community Property in a Nutshell, MN CLE, 2004
- Buy-Sell Agreements, NW Mutual, 1996
- Irrevocable Trusts, Farmers Insurance Group, 1996
- St. Croix County Board of Supervisors, 2014 to Present
- Board of Trustees, Hudson Area Joint Library - Past President, 2010 to 2013
- Estate Planning Free Seminars - Hudson United Methodist Church, 2009
- Board of Trustees, Christian Community Homes, Inc. (Nursing Home), 1995 to 1997
- Boy Scouts Past Cubmaster of Pack 210
- Hudson Health Corporation aka Hudson Medical Center - Past Member of Board
- Hudson Community Fund - Past Charter Member
- Board of Community Action, Inc. - Past Treasurer and 4 year member
- Board of Rotary International District 5960 Inc., District Governor and Chairman, 2008 to 2009
- Board of the District 5950-5960 Youth Exchange Foundation, Chairman, 2010 to 2011
- Hudson Daybreak Rotary Club, Past President
- Senior Partner/Owner, 1982
- Founder, President
- Peterson, Franke and Riach, P.A., Associate, 1984 to 1987
- MONY Financial Services, Advanced Underwriter, 1982 to 1984
- MONY Financial Services, Field Underwriter, 1975 to 1982