Sjoberg & Tebelius, P.A.
Serving Minnesota & Western Wisconsin

What Happens when a Minnesota Parent Doesn't Pay Child Support?

kids and dog.jpgChild support payments are critical to the well-being of children. They ensure that both the custodial and non-custodial parent is making contributions to their child's life and needs.

Most Minnesota parents comply with orders to pay child support. However, there are parents who fall behind because they can't or don't want to pay. Those who are delinquent with their child support payments risk facing serious penalties, so it can be helpful to know how child support enforcement works in this state.

Tackling delinquency issues early

A parent who has missed one or two child support payments over the course of several months is not likely to face aggressive enforcement efforts. At this stage, it can be effective to have a conversation with the parent, determine the cause of the delinquency, and address it directly.

For instance, if missed payments arise from isolated situations and mistakes, then there may not be anything for the delinquent parent to do besides pay arrears and avoid future missteps. If a parent hasn't taken the responsibility seriously, then reminding him or her that it is a court-ordered obligation can help to get payments back on track. If a parent cannot keep up with payments because of a change in financial circumstances, then assess the possibility of setting up a payment agreement or pursuing a modification of support.

Taking more aggressive action

If early intervention efforts are unsuccessful, then the child support office and county attorney can take more aggressive actions to prompt compliance.

As noted on the Minnesota Department of Human Services website, enforcement actions can include:

  • Financial penalties, e.g., the charging of interest and seizure of assets;
  • Suspension of various licenses, including driver's, occupational, hunting and fishing licenses; and
  • Legal penalties, including felony charges and contempt of court proceedings, which can lead to jail time.

Know your legal options

If you are unable to pay support, ignoring the problem will only make your situation worse. Instead, you can contact the child support office or an attorney to discuss payment options and legal remedies.

Parents who are not receiving their court-ordered support payments would be wise to take enforcement actions. Acting fast can minimize the financial strain you might be experiencing and help you collect the money owed.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Client Testimonials

Client Testimonials

  1. “Thank you for providing personalized professional services to us during a time of grief and loss when family relationships were not the best. With an attorney on board to help manage legal matters, everyone had confidence that the best was being done. ”

    Read More…
  2. “Our estate plan was handled well. We never felt rushed and all details were fully explained. Sam is very professional, easy to talk to and experienced in all aspects of estate planning. He gave examples and explored alternatives for us to consider. Well done and thanks.”

    Read More…
  3. “I was given the name of the law firm by a family friend after helplessly pilfering through endless names on websites. I am grateful I called. I was connected with Dave Meier immediately and from the go, was treated with dignity, care and respect. Every visit to the firm was pleasant and professional. ”

    Read More…
  4. “We were highly impressed upon the level and capability of Sjoberg & Tebelius. They gently showed us that there was much more to achieving the Will in the correct format that will protect our children than the quick attempts we had made on our own. Great people to work with - achieving our desired results!”

    Read More…

Over 30-years of experience Serving Minnesota & Western Wisconsin

Sjoberg & Tebelius, P.A.

2145 Woodlane Drive
Suite 101
Woodbury, MN 55125

Toll Free: 888-892-7044
Phone: 651-315-8856
Fax: 651-738-0020
Map & Directions