Last year was stressful and upsetting for numerous reasons, from a global pandemic and high unemployment rates, to untimely deaths and financial strain. These stressors were enough to push many marriages past their breaking points.
Those contemplating divorce don’t need to add any more strife to an already difficult situation. If you’re looking for ways to make the process as free from drama as possible, consider these resolutions to help you accomplish your goals:
- Get organized: Divorce is an emotional process, to be sure, but it is also a legal process. It involves considerable paperwork, scheduling, and financial accounting. Thus, staying organized by setting up a calendar and keeping pertinent documentation together can help you keep things under control.
- Prioritize your family: Your marriage may be ending, but your role as a parent is not. And divorce can be difficult for your children, as well. Spending time with them and showing them your love and support can be critical in helping you all get through this process.
- Ask for help when you need it: Divorce can be complicated for any person to navigate. And just as you would likely seek out guidance from locals if you were traveling in an unfamiliar country, you can ask for help from people familiar with family law and the legal system. These people can include lawyers, counselors, mediators and financial professionals.
- Make healthy choices: Taking care of yourself can take a backseat during tumultuous times. However, seeking healthy outlets and refraining from abusing drugs and alcohol can help reduce stress and protect your mental health.
- Avoid toxic people and situations: Divorce can bring out the worst in some people. If your friends or former in-laws are not supportive, don’t interact with them. If social media causes you pain, consider taking a break from it. If you find yourself becoming angry or hostile around your ex, keep your exchanges brief and in writing whenever possible.
It can be challenging to keep your resolutions. However, if you can practice these, you can find it is easier to peacefully divorce.